Advertising for Creatives
The Advertising for Creatives certificate program is unique in providing industry-specific education for future advertising writers, account executives and art directors. Our faculty are advertising and marketing industry professionals. They teach the creative aspects of advertising through hands-on studio work combined with theoretical, strategic, and historical perspectives. Courses additionally draw on the constructs and paradigms of marketing, research, sociology, psychology, visual art and design to enrich and extend the understanding of advertising concepts and applications. Please be advised that the advertising courses are consecutive and that enrollment is therefore limited.
Advertising for Creatives post-baccalaureate certificate students will:
- Create and display a solid advertising portfolio to use for job interviews and/or to secure freelance opportunities
- Develop strong creative skills and versatility applicable to a broad range of advertising industry careers in both agency and corporate settings
- Develop contacts within the advertising field through exposure to the Chicago advertising industry
- Gain the skills needed to work as an entry-level art director, copywriter, or account coordinator in all media
Students are required to take the following courses:
- MKTG 201 Principles of Marketing
- ADVT 311 Advertising: Creative
- ADVT 312 Advertising: Intermediate Creative
- ADVT 313 Advertising: Advanced Creative
Advertising for Creative certificate students are encouraged to additionally take ADVT 390-CN Topics in Advertising: Introduction to Visual Communication and Graphic Design concurrently with ADVT 312. Also, students with previous coursework in marketing may substitute MKTG 201 with an advanced marketing course.
Students should have general knowledge of computers and some academic experience in research and writing before beginning the Advertising for Creatives post-baccalaureate certificate program.