Fundamentals of Accounting
The Fundamentals of Accounting certificate provides students with a solid foundation in the principles and practices of accounting, including financial reporting and taxation. Individuals who have budget responsibilities or who aspire to such work will profit from a basic knowledge of accounting. Also, students who complete this program will be well prepared to take advanced courses and many go on to complete the Advanced Accounting certificate.
Fundamentals of Accounting post-baccalaureate certificate students will:
- Analyze and prepare financial statements
- Employ critical thinking skills to analyze financial data as well as the effects of differing financial accounting methods on the financial statements.
- Define the needs of the various users of accounting data and demonstrate the ability to communicate such data effectively, as well as the ability to provide knowledgeable recommendations.
- Apply cost accounting methods to evaluate and project business performance.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the taxation of individual income.
Students are required to take the following courses:
- ACCOUNT 201 Intro to Financial Accounting
- ACCOUNT 202 Intro to Managerial Accounting
- ACCOUNT 208 Income Tax
- ACCOUNT 210 Intermediate Accounting
- ACCOUNT 310 Managerial Cost Accounting
Online Coursework in Accounting: Now Available
Students may enroll in online accounting classes. Enrollment in online classes is limited to students registered as post-baccalaureate students or students-at-large, according to university policy.
Quarter starts for online accounting courses are:
- Summer 2013: ACCOUNT 208-DL Income Tax I, ACCOUNT 210-DL Intermediate Accounting I, ACCOUNT 390-DL Topics: Research and Communication
- Fall 2013: ACCOUNT 211-DL Intermediate Accounting II, ACCOUNT 310-DL Managerial Cost Accounting
- Winter 2014: ACCOUNT 308-DL Income Tax II, ACCOUNT 350-DL Auditing I
- Spring 2014: ACCOUNT 360-DL Auditing II, ACCOUNT 390-DL Topics: Forensic Accounting
- Summer 2014: ACCOUNT 390-DL Topics: International Accounting