Mobile App Developer Certificate Program
THE NEXT COHORT BEGINS JANUARY 8, 2014
The Mobile App Developer Program takes a unique approach in a fast-growing field. Students bring their own project to the program and work with industry-expert faculty members who also act as mentors. The mentors help students get the most out of their idea and prepare it for production or for demo to venture capital firms. Students also gain exposure to the incubator/start-up culture in Chicago, and learn from practitioners with experience at Fortune 500 companies and agile start-ups. Courses meet in-person and meetings are spaced to allow time for students to work on their projects with their instructor using online collaboration tools. The entire certificate can be completed in about six months, and includes programming instruction in both Android and iOS platforms.
Why Learn Mobile?
"Mayor Rahm Emanuel today said he plans to add 40,000 tech jobs in Chicago over the next decade...he highlighted an expanding number of startups in the city and increased venture funding. Adding 40,000 jobs would effectively double the city's digital-technology workforce."
Who is this program best for?
Entrepreneur or non-programmer: While you have an idea for the next great app, you don't know the steps to take to make it a reality. We offer the tools to create a technical profile of your app, and provide programming instruction to prepare your idea for venture capital or to launch in the marketplace.
Students will be well prepared to:
- Design mobile applications for Android and iOS devices
- Create applications that are designed with the end user in mind
- Analyze user data to identify opportunities and constraints for application development
- Manage application development projects using agile project and scrum management tools
Students complete four required courses covering the fundamentals of mobile app development and one elective. The program can be completed within 6-9 months. We recommend the following pathway through the program. Starting January 2014, all courses will be offered each term for fall, winter and summer.
REQUIRED COURSES (4)
1) Application Design and Prototyping: In this first class, bring your idea to the table and turn it into a conceptual framework for an application. In addition, gain exposure to various start-ups and incubators in Chicagoland.
2) Mobile Optimized User Design: Move your concept onto paper and eventually into HTML as the first step of creating a working application.
3) Coding in iOS or Android (choose one of the following and you can take the second as an elective):
- Application Design for Android Operating Systems: Learn to develop, test, install and distribute mobile operations, working within Android operating system.
- Application Design for Apple Operating Systems: Learn to develop, test, install and distribute mobile operations, working within Apple operating system.
4) Analytics for Application Design: Analyze trends in applications use and web traffic to identify opportunities and constraints for application development
ELECTIVES (choose 1)
Customize the program with an elective. Some options include:
- Take a second coding course (iOS or Android)
- Learn agile or "regular" Project Management
- Take a leadership course to learn how to effectively manage and lead change within your organization
New elective courses will be added periodically. If you have a suggestion, please share it with us via email at email@example.com.
Prerequisites and Technical Requirements
Knowledge of some programming: This program requires knowledge of a programming language which allows students to take full advantage of each course. We recommend experience with java or HTML.
Technical requirements for all classes: Students need to bring their own devices and laptop to each class. Students can bring a PC or Mac for the App Design for Android Operating Systems class.
Technical requirements for the App Design for Apple Operating Systems: Students will need their own Mac laptop with administrator access.